Sunday 16 February 2014

Motivation, inspiration and good slice of confidence boosting!

So after almost 3 months of not keeping this up to date I have had good kick up the behind today. But where to start.......... a photo from today, I was out on the Pap of Glencoe enjoying a rare day this winter.

Ballachulish Horse Shoe 
There are various reasons for not blogging lately:

  • Lacking confidence to write up what I have been doing is the big one
  • Doing a lot outdoors is another
  • Finding the time to write up in the way I do is always a challenge (hope to change that)
  • Working behind a computer typing up reports and documents for a part time office based job has enhanced the excuse to ignore computer in spare time, plus the use of an iPhone to access email, Facebook and other media means the laptop has been almost redundant. 
But anyway, I have had an inspiring day today and when looking back on Facebook and Twitter

https://www.facebook.com/jwgseamanJSOutdoors

I have had an inspiring winter season to date.

The big one for me would be Winter Mountain Leader training attended and now also the looming Assessment!

I am feeling ready but also nervous due to the time, effort and commitment I have already put in and being doubted by the lack of confidence that over rides me at times. I think this is due to being involved in an industry where there is so much talent, experience and quality that I feel very much at the lower rung of a difficult ladder. And also that although there is an amazing community of freelance, outdoor centre employees and outdoor students in Fort William we are all competition at the end of the day. This is good but adds to the pressures and uncertainties of freelance work.

That head game aside I have had the best winter climbing season of my career to date and also had some fantastic mountain days and experiences with new and old friends this winter while also working when and where I can to improve my professional profile and network. I would like to thank a number of people who have helped me progress personally as well as professionally these last few months  :

Kev Shields for inspiration, motivation and coaching in all aspects of my climbing, but especially mentally.

Andy Spink & Hebridean Pursuits for his mentoring and opportunities.

The Ice Factor family, Joe , ConorMarkRich BRich PPete for all the laughs, routes, training, psyche, slagging and banter and the management and cafe crew for enduring it!

Dave Anderson for setting a standard to aim for and achieve.

Steve Holmes for some inspiring climbing and chat when out on routes.

Gabi Tomescu ,Extreme Tattoo & Piercing & GT-Photography for friendship, photos and a good laugh at life!

A quick mention of Team Powell and the Spartan Society of STS, the STS, Pete Hill, MTA cheers!!

and most of all........

My family and girlfriend for all the support and putting up with me so far, thank you.

If anyone I have forgotten reads this, or feels I owe them, I do apologise and let me know who you are!

A man hard at work, fantastic photographer Gabi








No comments:

Post a Comment