Tuesday 5 November 2013

Again it starts..........

If you read my blog, thank you and apologies for the lack of writing one and keeping it up to date. There is no excuse apart form I have been extremely busy working and playing in the outdoors for all of the summer. 

Winter is almost here in the highlands at long last and the adventures are about to start. 

But, what better way to kick off the season than with The Festival of Ice at Ice Factor, Kinlochleven on the 2nd & 3rd of November. This event was a competition but all in aid of Climbers Against Cancer (CAC) 




This event was an awesome thing to be involved in, all the credit must go to Kev http://kevshieldsclimbing.blogspot.co.uk/

and Conor for organising it and making it happen. Thanks to all the rest at Ice Factor for their efforts. All of the sponsors for prizes and making the event happen. 

To be involved with and participate in such an event was a great experience, the old cliché "you had to be there" is more than credible for this one. 

The event began with registration at 0830 with all climbers who were participating in the competition having to sign an agreement and statement of risk form. There was a quick briefing from organisers and then climbers given the green light to go at it! 

I started my day in the big fridge attempting to climb the routes that had been set in there. Now having worked here for the last 2 years this place was not new to me but I felt extremely out my depth and in a very new environment. But those feeling soon disappeared as the banter started flowing between all competitors. 

Now climbing competitions are nothing like any competition I have been involved before or witnessed. Every one helps each other, gives each other ideas, positive motivation and comments were flying around from the word go! Just awesome to be involved in and part of. Not to embarrass myself or others but being in the company of the majority of the participants of this event was special and humbling, as was being shouted on and cheered up the ice wall by some real inspirational climbers and mountaineers. I left the big fridge feeling higher than life but had to keep it all in and carry on competing (in the loses sense of the word btw, imagine East Fife FC Vs FC Barcelona )     

I climbed as hard as could for the rest of the day, but the lack of sleep the night before and the real sense of awe plus wanting to watch others climb I handed in my score sheet and chilled out after giving all the routes I could a good go. I wasn't there to win, I wasn't there to lose, I was there for charity and to raise awareness of CAC & cancer. 


This was the route of the day!
Gabi Tomescu  www.photography-gt.com
Joe and myself having a chat.
Gabi Tomescu  www.photography-gt.com

The lady's representing CAC were two of the nicest, friendliest and chatty women I've had the pleasure talking to, they listened to my story and shared so many positive words about the charity and the cause throughout the day that it made perfect sense to tell them that for every point I score today I will donate a pound. They were so appreciative of what I felt was not so much, a solid 37 points, So I rounded it up to £40 out my pocket, there and then. The event raised around £2000 for CAC, this is a phenomenal effort as climbers are renowned for being skint!    
Gabi Tomescu    www.photography-gt.com
Personal highlights of the day for me was meeting new people and making friends, being given support from my girl friend and here family as well as everyone involved throughout the day.  Watching and helping out with all the finals, but also belaying for the men's final, this was maybe the best part of the day for me. 
Belaying for Greg Boswell in Final
www.photography-gt.com
Belaying in final for Ewan Roger
www.photography-gt.com
                                                                                                                 

Other events happened over the weekend, with Simon Yearsley giving a fascinating talk on new winter routing and Scotland. Inspirational and motivational to say the least. Dave Macleod gave just as good a talk and insight into his climbing in winter in Scotland. Both talks were really catching and you didn't want to miss a word or image. They both gave a real insight into Scotland's climbing and how it deserves its world wide status and how it will keep it!

This was the first ever FESTIVAL OF ICE in Scotland but fingers crossed it will not be the last. I will be involved if asked again! 

Cheers 



      

No comments:

Post a Comment